Recipe for Imam Bayildi
How to make Imam Bayildi
Ingredients to make Imam Bayildi
|1/2 Kilo of Eggplants (Aubergines), cut in half, lengthways||2 small brown onions, thinly sliced|
|2 small garlic cloves crushed||200 gr of vine ripened tomatoes, peeled and diced|
|1 tsp dried thyme||2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped|
|A pinch of all spice||1 tbsp of lemon juice|
|Pinch of sugar||1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tbsp spoon of tomato paste||1/2 cup of water|
- Line an oven tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
Preparing the eggplant
- In a heavy based frying pan, heat half the olive oil and cook the eggplants turning regularly to ensure they are soft and cooked through. (approx 10 minutes)
- Place the eggplants on some paper towel to absorb some of the oil, and using a spoon scoop out half of the soft flesh.
- Chop the scooped out flesh and set aside to cool along with the eggplant shells.
Making the filling
- To ensure maximum flavour, heat the remaining olive oil in the same pan and saute the onion until translucent and soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the tomato, thyme, parsley, all spice and chopped eggplant flesh.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Imam Bayildi; Putting it together
- Place the eggplant shells into the lined oven tray and evenly scoop the tomato and onion filling into each shell.
- Mix the tomato paste, water, lemon juice and sugar together until there are no lumps.
- Pour over the eggplant and cover with foil.
- Bake for approx. 20-30 minutes or until almost all the tomato juice has been absorbed.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve when at room temperature.
Find more delicious vegetarian recipes at Turkish Thyme cooking.
- Imam bayildi is best served at room temperature.
- Use medium sized eggplants as they wont be as seedy and the flesh will be softer.
- You could use good quality tinned peeled tomatos instead of the fresh vine ripened if need be.
- For extra sweetness and crunch you can add toasted pinenuts and currents to the filling.
- If you want to impress, for better presentation do two things:
- Cut stripes into the skin like you do for Karni Yarik.
- Cut into the stalk until you feel the core, then slice around it and pull until you have the stalk only without the green.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes