What is more satisfying than a hearty bowl of chicken soup? It’s comfort food that’s rich yet delicate in flavour. This particular lemon chicken soup recipe is an authentic Turkish recipe dating back to the Ottoman era. This soup recipe is just as my mum made it when I was a kid. Sometimes she would add vermicelli which you can do too.
Recipe for Lemon Chicken Soup
How to make Lemon Chicken Soup
|Ingredients for Lemon Chicken Soup|
|1 small chicken breast||7 cups of water|
|4 tbsp of butter||2 tbsp of corn flour|
|1 litre of chicken stock||Juice from 4 lemons|
|4 egg yolks||1 tsp of salt|
|4 garlic cloves, crushed||Chilli flakes|
|Fresh mint leaves|
Preparing the Chicken
- In a large saucepan, poach the chicken breast in the 7 cups of water.
- When cooked, remove the chicken breast using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Sieve the chicken stock and set aside to cool.
- When the chicken has cooled, shred it into small and thin pieces and store in the fridge until ready to use.
The Soup Broth
- Whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice until well combined.
- Using the reserved chicken water, measure out 1 litre. If you fall short, top it up with ready made Campbells stock.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the corn flour whisking continuously to ensure it doesn’t go lumpy.
- Add the cooled stock in a little at a time, continuously whisking and simmer until there are no lumps and the soup is well combined.
- Ensuring your soup is only simmering, add the egg yolk in a little at a time, again continuously stirring.
- Make sure your soup doesn’t boil.
- Add a ladel full of soup broth to your egg and lemon mixture and mix well.
- Then slowly add this mixture to the soup broth on a medium to low heat a little at a time and continue whisking.
- Be careful that your soup is not too hot or boiling when you add the egg yolks or they will curdle.
- Season to taste and add the garlic and mix well.
Lemon Chicken Soup Garnish
- Pour the lemon chicken soup into bowls and sprinkle with chilli flakes and fresh mint.
- Serve with toasted or fresh bazlama a flat Turkish bread.
Search for more Turkish soup recipes and authentic healthy Turkish food.