The orange and balsamic dressing is the star and is what makes this salad a wow factor. Its full of protein and great for any barbecue or even a light dinner for a hot summers day. Its not a traditional Turkish recipe but one that has been inspired by Turkish flavours.
Summer Bean & Bulgur Salad
How to make Bulgur and Summer Salad
Summer Bean Salad Ingredients
|1/2 cup of thick bulgur||1 cup of water|
|1/2 tsp of vegeta (vegetable stock)||1 tsp pepper paste|
|3 eggs, boiled||1 bunch asparagus|
|1 bunch of fresh green beans||1 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced|
|4 tbsp of canned cannellini beans||4 tbsp of canned borlottii beans|
|2 tbsp toasted pine nuts||Olive oil|
|Juice of half a large orange||1 tsp mustard|
|2 tsp balsamic vinegar||1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil|
- In a small saucepan, on a medium heat, warm some olive oil.
- Add the washed bulgur and vegeta and stir until dry and the wheat grains no longer clump together.
- Stir in the pepper paste until the bulgur is evenly covered.
- Add the water, lower the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook until all the water has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender.
- Squeeze the juice of half an orange into a bowl.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of mustard, 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and the garlic infused olive oil.
- Set aside.
Putting the Bean Salad Together
- Clean the beans and cut the ends off the spears spears.
- Prepare a saucepan of boiling water and also a ice water bath.
- Place the asparagus and beans in the boiling water and blanch for approx. 40 seconds.
- Transfer directly into water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Boils 3 eggs, peel them and cut into quarters.
- Thinly slice the Spanish onion.
- In a platter, toss all the ingredients including the toasted pine nuts and the dressing but leave the eggs aside.
- Garnish the salad with egg quarters and serve.
Serves 2 as a meal, 4 as a side.
Serve with kofte or shish kebab.
Find more Turkish recipes at Turkish Thyme cooking.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes