I’ve written about purslanes nutritional benefits on my simpler purslane salad recipe. If you find this super charged nutritious weed growing in someones yard, pick it and make this delicious summer salad jam packed with vitamins and minerals.
Recipe for Purslane & Capsicum Salad
How to make purslane salad
|200 gr of purslane||1 red capsicum|
|1/2 Spanish onion, thinly sliced||6 cherry tomatos, cut in half|
|6 walnut halves||1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil|
|Juice of half a lemon||Sprinkling of salt|
|Sprinkling of Isot, black chilli|
- Wash the purslane and pick off the leaves. Throw out the stems.
- Place the red capsicum on a naked flame and turn until the skin is blackened all over.
- Put the capsicum in a plastic bag and st aside to sweat for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the capsicum has sweated and its cool enough to touch, peel the blackened skin off.
- Deseed and cut into strips lengthways approx. 1/2 cm wide.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a bowl and add the salt, garlic infused olive oil and lemon juice.
- Toss well and sprinkle with walnuts and isot.
- Do not peel or rinse the capsicum under water as you’ll loose the smokey flavour.
- If you don’t have isot (black chilli pepper) you can use red chilli flakes as an alternative.
- You could use rocket as an alternative to purslane.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes