Karni Yarik literally translates to split belly. The dish is basically an eggplant stuffed with a spicy lamb and is one of Turkey’s favourite dishes. Eggplant is a stable in Turkish cuisine but the below recipe is one you will find that is not regional and is devoured throughout the country.
Recipe for Karni Yarik – Stuffed Eggplant
How to make Stuffed Eggplant
|300 gr lamb mince||1 brown onion, finely chopped|
|1 flat tsp of mixed herbs||1 flat tsp cumin|
|1 flat tsp of vegeta||1 flat tsp pimento|
|1 tbsp of pepper paste||2 tbsp of tomato paste|
|2 small eggplants||salt and pepper|
|2 slices of tomoto||2 long green chilli|
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Peel off 1 cm strips of skin lengthwise at intervals to give a striped effect. This is easiest done with a peeler.
- Cut a deep slit on one side lengthways, stopping short of the base and the top.
- Place in a bowl of cold salted water and leave for 20 minutes. Drain and dry with paper towel. Stab with a knife a few times and place on an oven tray and into the oven.
Mince Filling Method
- Meanwhile, in a fry pan fry the onion gently until transparent then add mince, spices and 1 tbsp of tomato and pepper pastes. Season to taste.
- Once the eggplant is soft and baked through, remove from oven and with the back of a spoon, open the slit and squash the soft eggplant down making room for the mince mixture.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into the slit forcing as much in as you can. Spread the remaining mixture on top.
- Mix some tomato paste and water and spoon over the mixture and return to the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Eggplant, Lamb Mince