A traditional Islim kofte recipe is made with eggplant or aubergine but I have made this version with zucchini. Islim kofte is baked in the oven but the word Islim actually means “to steam”.
Although this kofte recipe looks a little fancy its actually very quick and easy to make.
Recipe for Islim Kofte
How to make Islim Kofte
|Ingredients for Islim Kofte|
|500 gr of beef mince||1 onion, finely grated|
|2 garlic cloves, crushed||1/4 tsp of ground black pepper|
|1/4 tsp of salt||1 tsp of cumin|
|4 long zucchini, cut into thin strips lengthways||4 tomatoes, cut in half|
|4 chilli’s cut in half lengthways and de-seeded.||Olive Oil|
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, place the mince, onion, garlic, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Mix it well until all the seasoning has combined well.
- Place in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan on a medium heat, fry the zucchini until soft and golden brown.
- Take the mince out of the fridge and evenly create 8 meatballs. Flatten them so they are more like discs rather than meatballs.
- On a place, place 2 pieces of zucchini making a cross formation.
- In the cross, place a kofte and wrap the overhanging zucchini around the kofte.
- Place half a tomato on the fold and place half a chilli on the tomato and hold it together with a toothpick
- Repeat the process until you have 8 koftes, wrapped in zucchini with a tomato and chilli on top.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes and serve immediately.