Gozleme gets its name from the little brown spots that form on the yufka pastry when its being cooked. These are said to resemble little “eyes”. Goz in Turkish means eye. This spicy beef gozleme recipe can also be made with lamb. Gozleme can be referred to as a Turkish pancake and is a great healthy snack.
Recipe for Spicy Beef Gozleme
How to make Turkish Gozleme Recipe
|Ingredients for Spicy Beef Gozleme|
|2 sheets of yufka pastry||300 gr of beef mince|
|1 small brown onion, finely chopped||1 tsp of tomato paste|
|1 tsp of cumin||1/2 tsp of pimento|
|1 tsp of mild Hungarian paprika||Salt and pepper|
- With some olive oil, cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the spices and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the mince and tomato paste until mince has cooked and is brown.
How to fold Yufka to make Gozleme
- Fold one peice of yufka at a time.
- Fold 2 edges of a round circle over itself, making a long rectangular shape.
- Place half the beef mixture in the centre and fold in the edges so you have a yufka pastry envelope.
- With the other sheet of yufka, repeat steps five and six.
Cooking the Gozleme
- In a non stick frying pan, heat some olive oil and fry both sides on a medium heat until little brown spots appear.
- Serve with lemon slices while hot or warm.
- Yufka is a thicker pastry that filo pastry, but you could substitute 1 sheet of yufka for 3 sheets of filo.
Where to buy Yufka Pastry and Sujuk
- Yufka is readily available at Turkish or Middle Eastern food stores and delicatessens. Find Food Store reviews and locations here.