Lahmacun, pronounced Lahmajun is a Traditional Turkish recipe. There are regional variations to this Turkish pizza recipe where some will use pomegranate molasses but will only use tomato paste.
Recipe for Lahmacun
How to make Lahmahcun
Turkish Pizza Dough Ingredients
|6 cups of all purpose flour||2 1/2 tbsp of dry yeast|
|1 cup of warm water||350 ml of warm water|
|1 tsp sugar||1 tsp salt|
The Lahmacun Topping Ingredients
|500 gr of lamb mince||1 1/2 large tomato, skinned and finely chopped|
|1 large onion, finely chopped||1 tsp crushed black pepper|
|1 1/2 tsp of cumin||1 heaped tbsp of tomato paste|
|1 heaped tbsp of pepper paste||1 small bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped|
|1 tsp of Maras biber (use flaked chilli as an alternative)||2 tbsp of Olive oil|
|1/6 cup of water|
Making the Flat Bread Dough
- In a soup bowl, mix the yeast, 1 cup of water and sugar and set aside until it froths.
- Sift the flour in a large mixing bowl, forming a well in the middle.
- Pour the frothing yeast mixture in the well.
- Slowly add 350ml warm water to the flour mixture and continue to mix well until you have a soft dough.
- Knead for 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes using a mix master with a bread hook attachment.
- Leave the dough covered with a tea towel in a warm place to rise and double in size.
Preparing the Turkish Pizza Topping and Dough
- Place the topping ingredients in a bowl and with wet hands mix well.
- Adding a little water at a time, mix the mince until it becomes a wet paste.
- Place in the fridge until you need it.
- Once the dough has risen, knead it a few times to remove the gas and air.
- Weight it and divide into 6 equal pieces. I had 1421 gr of which I divided into 6 portions of approx. 177 grams each.
- Roll each portion into little balls and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Cover with a moist towel over the top to stop them from drying out.
- Take 1 bread roll at a time, and using a rolling pin, roll them out into a flat thin round and stretch with your hands as you go.
Lahmacun Final Steps
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Break up the mince into 6 equal portions and spread it right to the edges of the pizza base.
- Bake in the oven on a pizza tray or stone for approx 15-20 minutes, until the meat has browned and cooked.
- Sprinkle with parsley and squeeze some lemon over them.
- Serve hot.
Find more Traditional Turkish recipes at Turkish Thyme cooking.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minute