This spicy borek recipe could be made with lamb mince or yufka pastry but I’ve used beef with filo pastry. This borek recipe is healthy and great for those watching their weight as its baked.
Recipe for Spiced Beef Borek
How to make spiced beef filo pie
Beef Filling Ingredients
|500 gr of beef mince||1 tbsp of olive oil|
|1 brown onion. finely diced||2-3 garlic cloves, crushed|
|3 tbsp of pine nuts||3 tsp of cinnamon|
|3 tsp of thyme||1 small bunch of parsley|
|1 dried chilli, finely chopped||2 tsp mild paprika|
|1 tsp tumeric||3 tsp cumin|
|Salt and pepper|
|Half a packet of filo pastry||2 cups of milk|
|2 eggs||1 tbsp of natural yoghurt|
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Grease an oven proof dish or a “tepsi” which is a round metal oven tray.
Borek Filling Preparation
- In a medium frying pan, on a medium heat heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and chilli and cook for 1 -2 minutes.
- Add the pine nuts and garlic and cook until the pine nuts start turning a golden color.
- Add the meat and spices and cook until the meat has browned.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the fresh parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, yoghurt and milk together so you have no lumps.
- Lay a whole sheet of filo in the oven tray with the side hanging over.
- Redo 2-3 more times to ensure the whole base of the dish is covered.
- Be sure to cover your filo pastry with a damp cloth to keep it workable and prevent drying.
- Spoon a few tbsp of the egg and milk mixture over the filo.
- Ensure you lightly moisten the filo that is hanging over the tray to avoid them drying out.
- Tear 4 sheets of filo in half and place at the base of the tray.
- Keep moistening each layer with the egg wash.
- Leave the last layer dry.
- Pour in the beef and spread over the filo evenly.
- Tear a few more layers of filo and repeat with the egg wash creating more layers of filo over the beef.
- When you’ve used all your filo, fold over the dangling pieces of filo.
- Stick them down and well moisten the top with the egg wash. Ensure there are no dry bits.
- Sprinkle with nigella seeds. (You can use sesame seeds if you choose).
- Place in the oven and cook until golden brown.
- Cut into pieces and serve warm.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes